Labels

SOL (35) Friendship (27) Love (27) LDS Church (22) Family (21) college (21) Literature (17) Poetry (17) Change (14) Christ (14) Food (14) Happiness (14) What I have been reading (14) France (12) French (12) Summer (12) inSiteful (12) the gospel (12) Perspective (11) Truth (11) thought (11) Animals (10) Travel (10) Teaching (9) America (8) Beauty (8) Creativity (8) Running (8) weird (8) world (8) Cross Country (7) From my spilling thoughts notebook (7) Stress (7) history (7) language (7) Beginnings (6) Borders (6) awkward (6) childhood (6) memories (6) self (6) Utah (5) missionaries (5) Courage (4) God (4) education (4) lists (4) middle school (4) people (4) random (4) Differences (3) FHE (3) Goals (3) Haiku (3) School (3) Sophie (3) Sports Camps (3) analogies (3) archaic and modern (3) art (3) faith (3) learning (3) quotes (3) waffles (3) Americanisms (2) Belgium (2) Biking (2) Christmas (2) Crafts (2) Fashion (2) Harry Potter (2) Prezi (2) Relationality (2) Spanish (2) The Gold List (2) birds (2) castles (2) cats (2) clothes (2) confessions (2) cookies (2) electric blanket (2) gardens (2) inspiration (2) leaves (2) lucky (2) mimes (2) mormons (2) nail polish (2) peace (2) pictures (2) politics (2) salami (2) scarves (2) trials (2) Chinese (1) Games (1) Opportunity (1) Pixar (1) Saturday (1) assignments (1) basements (1) book reviews (1) books (1) bread (1) busy (1) butter (1) chapstick (1) cleaning (1) coats (1) comical (1) creepy (1) crying (1) dinosaurs (1) dolls (1) doors (1) driving (1) dusk (1) eagles (1) easy (1) evening (1) failing (1) general conference (1) grades (1) grammar (1) growth (1) ice cream (1) indecision. sol (1) instagram (1) journey (1) lame (1) laughter (1) life (1) milk (1) mistakes (1) modern art (1) mom (1) money (1) nicknames (1) oreos (1) pens (1) priorities (1) procrastination (1) pulley (1) questions (1) razors (1) recopies (1) regionalisms (1) rejoice (1) repentance (1) royal (1) sacrifice (1) sayings (1) scripture (1) seasons (1) sickness (1) sisters (1) sleeping (1) snow (1) spiders (1) straws (1) street (1) students (1) tea (1) texting (1) trust (1) weather (1) winter (1)

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Nicknames

Yonder four years ago I was not a big nickname user. Sure, I called my siblings by their nicknames, but I can not think of anyone else who had that privileged. Okay, sometimes, rarely, I called my friend Makayla a little shortened Makay. But I always called my friend Liz, Elizabeth even though more people called her Liz than anything else.

Things have changed. Sarah Edwards is Sare; Sarah Darby, Darbs; and then there is my roommate Sarah whose initials are S.A.Y: so I call her Say - or Say-Say - or even Say-Say-Felipe - sometimes just Felipe. Faith is Faithy. Candace is sometimes Candy-Candy-Candace. Nikki became Nic. Kathryn: Fafryn. And Carolyn turned into Carolyn-a-lyn, or Carolyn-a-lyn-lyn, which is sometimes Lyn-a-lyn, and sometimes Lynie.

Why was I not a nickname user before??? I love it. Nicknames mean so much more than just referring to that person. When you call someone by a nickname you are saying their name and saying you love and care bout them at the same time.

But you have to earn the right to call someone by a nickname. My name is Michaelanne, but my family almost exclusively calls me Mike. But don't you go calling me Mike unless you mean it. My roommates, teammates, and close friends also call me Mike, but if you only just met me on the street, I would not tell you that was what I go by. You have to earn it; you have to mean it; but when people do start calling me Mike, I really love it.


Here's Lynie and me just hanging out on our backpacking trip Freshy year.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you want your friends to earn the right to call you by your nickname, I think nicknames are best for those close friends because they do reveal how much we care. My college roommate and I still call each other by our nicknames even though no one else uses them. Mik (for Kim) and Yak (for Kay) belong to us and our friendship.

    ReplyDelete